Saturday, December 11, 2010

Kora Jali


That's me -- a "jali" (update: spelling corrected from "jalli"), or student, of the kora, West Africa's traditional harp and probably signature musical instrument (along with the djembe drum, of course). I'm taking lessons from one of the Gambia's best-known players (pictured), nicknamed Pa Bobo. He started touring around the world around the age of 12, and has a website here. Today was my second lesson and so far I can play about 8 basic tunes.

Kora are now made with the traditional materials of a calabash gourd, cowhide, wood, and the less traditional materials of thumbtacks and fishing line. Being a musician, or griot, is considered hereditary here in West Africa and Pa Bobo comes from one of the most prominent griot families in the Gambia.

I'm finding it much easier than guitar, probably in part because there are no pesky key changes -- so in that sense it's also a lot less flexible. The harp is in F major (and therefore I suppose E minor). I'm probably going to buy a small one and bring it back -- just need to make sure I can bring it through customs, though Pa Bobo obviously manages to get his through when he travels, so it must be possible.

Oh, and yes, those are braids! For some reason it hadn't occurred to me until yesterday that my hair was long enough for braids for the first time in more than 5 years! Still not quite long enough for a single braid in the back, but still very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment