Sunday, December 12, 2010

Kalila update: Ready for surgery!


I'm in the Gambia while Kalila, her parents, and my mom are getting ready for surgery!

The email my mom sent to all donors yesterday -- with a cute photo of Kalila in her donated sweater and hat to ward off the Indiana chill!

***************

Dear Friends,

Kalila and her parents, Faiza and Samar, arrived Thursday morning. We went straight to the hospital for a full day of tests. I had predicted that Kalila would be scared and miserable. Not at all! She (unlike her parents) had slept well on the night flight from Ghana and seemed totally delighted to find herself in a brand new place to explore. Despite the fact that she was being pricked and prodded by strangers the entire day, she was charming and cooperative. The best day-long performance I can ever recall for a two-year-old. I can see why Taren fell in love with her.

Unless catches a cold, her surgery will be first thing Monday morning and should last 6 - 7 hours. Please keep her and her parents in your thoughts and prayers. Her parents have expressed their gratitude to all of you many times over.

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment