Friday, November 19, 2010

We're at $24K for Kalila!


A $5K pledge just came in unexpectedly, putting us over 2/3rds of the way there. Amazing! And the family's fundraising here in Ghana has picked up steam -- they now think that they are over $5K themselves. We now have almost 150 donors -- and we're getting really close!

Later today, my mom will be sending a brief update to my friends who've pledged. Here's the version she sent to her friends and family two days ago (I haven't been online much since then, sorry!)

The picture is from this afternoon -- Kalila was playing with my sunglasses :-) Sorry I can't rotate the picture on this computer...

********

My apologies to many of you for my silence over the past two days. Developments are good!

First, the response has been phenomenal. In just three days, 137 of Taren's and my friends responded to our emails with pledges of just under $18,000. That's half the amount we need in only 72 hours!!

Second, I am very hopeful that Rotary International may help. Rotary has a program called the Gift of Life that helps bring children with congenital heart defects from poor countries to the US for surgery--perfect for Kalila. The Rotary people with whom I have been corresponding are very impressed with everyone's generosity and I hope that they will be able to match what we have raised. My thanks to Elaine Peck, director of Putnam County Community Foundation for connecting me with them. (I've also applied to some other organizations/foundations.)

Third, people in Ghana have also been generous. The family's appeals through newspapers and radio have raised more than $2,000 (in a country where the World Bank reports annual per capita income as only $700).

Fourth, I'm still trying to work out where everyone should send checks. I would prefer a foundation (which is why I was talking to Elaine Peck at the local foundation) for greatest accountability, but if not ,I will open a dedicated bank account. Or if Rotary takes Kalila's case, the best method might be to route funds through them. In the meantime, please do NOT send checks directly to me. My house and brain are both too cluttered. Since this is a rather large amount of money to raise from a large number of people, I want to be sure to do this the right way.

Fifth, I responded to the first 70 or 80 of you with personal notes, but have since fallen behind. (Plus, the mold on the dishes was getting out of hand.) Please everyone know how much I appreciate you and I will write to each of you in the next few days.

Meanwhile, I will let everyone know as soon as I know more details.

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment