Monday, November 15, 2010

Sunscreen

So many blogs to write, so little time! A quick one -- then I am off to meet with Kalila's mom about fundraising.

I spent part of the day today wandering through Accra's biggest market (pictured). Out of curiousity, I stopped at a booth that had virtually every toiletry product imaginable and asked whether they had sunscreen. The woman was confused and I explained that I wanted something that blocked the sun and pantomimed rubbing it into my skin. She tried selling me tanning lotion, then generic skin moisturizer. I explained again, "I want something that stops the sun." She laughed, almost derisively, and said as if to a child, "Nothing can stop the sun but god." Then she turned to repeat the crazy tale of the white woman who wanted to stop the sun to her next door market neighbors.

I hope they got a good laugh :-)

2 comments: