Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I do not think that word means what you think it means



Well, I suppose there is something mildly amusing about: (a) the fact that I spent more than an hour on the phone with AT&T before I left trying to make sure I understood all the possible exorbitant international iPhone fees and how to avoid them, whereas (b) on the main strip in Ghana's largest city, a permanent store advertises in broad daylight that they can just unlock the phone for a few bucks.

But I still don't know about "hilarious."

****
As a side, related note: Calling the US from a Ghanaian cell phone costs almost exactly the same amount as calling inside Ghana -- around 10c per minute. I'm sure there's a very good reason AT&T can't just borrow the Ghanaian companies' networks or use whatever technology they're using, right? Surely they're not just using any remotely plausible excuse they can think of to rip us off, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment